St Mary's Priory Abergavenny: The Priory Centre

Welcome to ST MARY'S PARISH CHURCH at St Mary's Priory, Abergavenny

St Mary's Priory Church

Parishioners applauding

St Mary's Priory Church is the parish church for the town and community of Abergavenny and is one of the largest and finest parish churches in Wales. The parish stretches from the ancient Llanellen bridge to the top of the Sugar Loaf mountain – reputedly one of the ‘purple-headed mountains’ in the hymn All Things Bright and Beautiful.

There is a daughter church Christchurch in North Street, which serves the western parts of the parish. Built as an iron church, it was then clad in cedar wood and has been restored in recent years.

St Mary’s is in the Diocese of Monmouth, one of six dioceses in the Church in Wales, and is one of several ancient Benedictine foundations in the area. The Cathedral Church is Newport Cathedral, although, in 1921 when the diocese was founded, there was some thought given to making St Mary’s the Cathedral.

The Church in Wales

At the beginning of the 20th century, churches in Wales were part of the Church of England. But, partly to assert national identity, in 1919 the Church of England was disestablished in Wales, and then replaced the following year by the Church in Wales, which is both independent of the state and an independent member of the Anglican Communion.




For more information please visit the Church in Wales Website

Visiting the church

The church is open for daily services and for visitors who wish to see the fine monuments or sit in quiet contemplation. Opening times are Monday to Saturday 9am to 4pm. Outside these hours, there is a key available in the Tithe Barn reception (during office hours).
There is no charge, although St Mary’s does cost £400 per day to run so any voluntary contribution would be very gratefully received.

St Mary's Priory Church is registered as a charity with the Charity Commission, number 1137751.

Back to top of page